Bob’s Big Boy Hot Rod Friday, Burbank

Bob's Big Boy, Burbank

Updated 09/10/2008 Follow the thread

NOTE : I will post links with photos, scroll down and you will see them. All on Flickr for your viewing enjoyment.

Well, got out of work early this last Friday and since many schools are still out (UCLA, most thankfully) traffic was light. So grabbed the family and went to Bob’s Big Boy. I have been going on and off for years to the Car Night, even took the Ripper one night. It was really nice weather was really nice during the day and I figured some good cars would crawl out of the woodworks. And I was not disappointed. Some nice cars, some rat rods, a couple of cars with healthy motors and a few with mechanical cams so I was happy. Beard’o in a Z06 vett’ so that stereotype was satisfied. Saw a kid roll a ball under a moving 430 Ferarri, then the parent motions for the driver to stop to retrieve the ball but puts his hand on the hood for support of his weight as he bent down… You could see the driver cringe. Nice red 427 Cobra (A REAL ONE for a change), some nice Dodge products, a big tire 1969 Camaro, the engine however, seemed like a hydraulic cammed and thus likely using NOS as a crutch. Might have to toss some smack next time.

Overall if you want to a quick and fun car gathering Bob’s is an excellent spot. Put your name in for the 45 minute wait for the restaurant and check out the cars, it will be just about perfect! I can’t wait for the summer as the cars only get better. One caveat, if you go too often you will become bored with many of the same cars, so mix it up. I don’t know of other family places to have dinner and check out cars, but if you have some that are in the San Fernando Valley, send them!

13 Responses to Bob’s Big Boy Hot Rod Friday, Burbank

1. Sandy April 14, 2008 at 4:05 pm #

Made it to Bob’s two weekends in a row! It was like a hot summer night (2/11/08). A packed parking lot with some very nice cars. My cars of choice were the obvious Lotus Cortina, I have been a fan of this odd sedan for a long long time. One showed up in all it’s glory. The green Dodge was tooling about and I will have to say thanks again to the guy that drives it since it is a well built healthy motor! I sadly missed the Gulf livery GT40 replica as reported by my sources that showed up later. The fellow with a real (I think he has 2) 427 Cobra was in attendance, as well as a few very nice trucks. All in all a very nice Friday evening at Bob’s.

2. Sandy May 31, 2008 at 5:05 am #

Well finally made it back to Bob’s for a quick tour of the lot. Very nice weather, but for some reason not so packed as it should have been. Some of the same cars, but a few new. Didn’t hang out too long, but did a quick walk around the lot. Nothing really caught my fancy except a nice stock like 427 Impalla, I’m guessing a 1968 or 1969. Also a nice black 427 vette, but I really didn’t catch more of a glimpse of the front end, which could also mean it was a 1969 LT1 which as I recall had the same hood as the Big Block bother. The Red Real 427 Cobra was in attendance (I think this fellow has 2, a Blue one as well, but can’t remember if it was the same guy). Did catch any heavy metal rolling through the lot except a 1968 Chevelle Malibu with a big (and somewhat gaudy) cowl induction hood and some wrinkle wall on the back. But it really didn’t pop, it rumbled, but didn’t have the high compression zing I enjoy so much. Could be a NOs thing, who knows. The award winner for odd car of the night was a early Datsun ‘Z’ with some kind of rear engine HACK from what might be a MR2? Don’t know, then the sign said something about ‘Electric Supercharged’ and all I could think of was J.C. Whitney and the gimmicks they sell. Now that I put it into perspective the car was a Hack Job if you can image a 240 Z with a rear engine. One thing I didn’t check was if it had an engine in the front too. It also seemed to have rear steering as it had a rack in the back with the engine. Freak show. I will get some pics if it shows up again, even if from the phone…

3. Sandy June 29, 2008 at 4:29 am #

I made it to Bob’s, and I did bring the camera this time. Some really great cars showed. I guess the nice late summer evenings brings out the crowds too. So I will have to get a few of the pictures up. Many interesting cars, from Ford Woody wagon, to the 4 Wheel Drive 240Z (Same guy as the car I talked about above), a car that looked like it was from Mad Max, some great 50’s rods and sorted hot cars. Even a really nice Sunbeam Tiger came rolling through. So a very nice evening.

4. Sandy July 8, 2008 at 5:04 am #

Rudy's Hot Rod

Here is a link to the photos from June 27th at Bob’s. Some good cars, then I ran out of batteries in the camera or would have had a bunch more! Click on the link below for some of the images…

Bob’s June 27th, 2008

5. Sandy July 11, 2008 at 11:32 pm #

I may be on my way to Bob’s tonight. If anyone catches me waking around stop me and say hello. I’ll be the average height, build and weight. I might have a hat on, not sure yet.

All joking aside, I’ll charge up the camera and get some more snapshots if I do make it. Nice warm weather again so should have an excellent turn out to one of the more fun informal car events in the valley.

6. Sandy July 13, 2008 at 10:21 pm #

Ok, got out late so it was dark. And you all know how good the flash is on a point and shoot camera… Well here is the Flicker link –

Bob’s July 11, 2008

This will take you to the page of all my photos, the Bob’s pictures are easy to find. If your car is in one, write something about it!

7. Sandy August 2, 2008 at 3:24 am #

Well made it to Bob’s early. Was some interesting cars, real Hemi, some odd looking impala retro race car, a few interesting hot rods. And Alex got to sit in Anthony’s real 427 Cobra. How about that.

Bob’s August 1, 2008

Enjoy the photos.

8. Sandy August 11, 2008 at 3:34 am #

Well made it to Bob’s yet again. Go figure I’m on a roll. Not too much exciting going on. The green dodge showed up, nice clean car with the NOS. But a nice guy, unlike the ugly green vinyl top dodge (similar car) that parked next to him. Cars of choice for me were the GOOD Green Dodge, and the Right Hand Drive Land Rover. Thumbnails from my camera phone below the discussion of car idiots :

1. If you show up to a fun event don’t be a dick. The folks with the Green/Black Vinyl top Dodge (hubbie and looser wife) should go back to the rock you came out of, screw you and you car and your unfriendly attitude, no place for you at Bob’s.

2. If you are a poser and say anything about racing for pink’s, you should also not show up. WTF, don’t you know I’ll know your full of BS? When you can’t tell me anything mechanically about your car and it idles smoothly, I’m going to guess your ‘built’ Mustang is crap. All I wanted to know was about the radiator and the guy couldn’t even tell me anything other then the 600hp motor was bad. It wasn’t. Run for ‘Pinks’ how Cliché…

3. If your a dickhead and doing a burnout (bike or car) go elsewhere. If you want the paranoid Burbank PD to shut it down, feel free.

Now back to my car picks, one car I didn’t get a photo of was the old Hemi Station Wagon with the backwards facing kid seat in the rear. Cool and really clean.

9. Sandy October 19, 2008 at 10:11 am #

Made it to Bob’s with the family. Was a nice warm evening. Not much wait for food. But they ran out of my selection so I got a kiddie cheese burger.

An interesting mix of car this Friday. Many of the same old folks but a little different flavor for some of them. I guess when you don’t go for a while the crowd rolls a bit. A couple of nice Camaro’s, a healthy station wagon or 2 showed up, one with a big motor and related hood scoop. Looked nice except for the 22″ (or whatever they really were) rims. Needed more black wall, but other then that nice ride. Some Chevy II’s rolled through as well as what might be deemed the Camaro Club of F Body Door stop shaped cars.

10. Sandy December 9, 2008 at 10:33 am #

Well I made it finally last Friday Dec 5th, 2008 to Bob’s. It ended up being a very good night since it was the Toluca Lake street fare. Lots of people and a ton of very nice cars. I didn’t bring a camera so sorry no pictures. The crowd was big, but not much wait and sat outside without a wait. I’ll bring a camera next time!

11. Kristi August 4, 2009 at 10:33 am #

The cruise nights at Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank are great. It is a terrific way for me and my family to spend a Friday night together although keeping the kids from touching the cars is sometimes a challenge. It is great to hear not only Bob’s in Burbank in celebrating their 60th Anniversary, but also has gone solar. I for one appreciate they are trying to do their part to help the environment.

12. Sandy August 4, 2009 at 11:01 am #

Yep, I love going to bob’s with the kids. Walk around, check out some cars and enjoy some Bob’s food ;). They are a good business that gives back with donations as well as the new solar power they just put up. And it’s still a fun pace to go even when crowded!

Sandy

13. David August 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm #

I was lucky to be in town on a Friday Night this past July, what a blast! here is my ‘report’

The home of Smokey Bleach Burnouts